Who doesn't like to stay on or ahead of the trend?
Well, we know that we do and we are here to help!
Keep reading to discover what is trending in food and beverage,
technology and engagement, colors, and venues for 2016.
#1 - Food and Beverage
Regarding food and beverage, which is what most guests remember at an event, "Technomic has spotted the following food and beverage trends for 2016: ethnic spices, condiments, and bread, elevated "peasant fare" including sausages and meatballs, Smoked dishes like charred vegetables and Local, fresh, organic sourcing.
Based on their annual survey of 1,300 chefs who are members of the American Culinary Federation, in its What's Hot 2016 Culinary Forecast, the National Restaurant Association has forecasted the following food and beverage trends: locally sourced meat, seafood, and grown produce, natural ingredients, sustainable seafood, new cuts of meat (e.g. skirt steak, brisket, culotte/sirloin cap, tri-tip, cheeks), homemade artisan ice cream, authentic ethnic cuisine
Some of the hottest menu items that the National Restaurant Association has identified include:
- Appetizers: Homemade sausages, seafood charcuterie, amuse-bouche, ethnic inspired (e.g. tacos, tempura, kabobs), skewered appetizers
- Main Course: Grass fed beef, alternative red meats (goat, bison, buffalo), duck, sustainable seafood, game meats (e.g.venison, game birds, rabbit), low-calorie entrees, half portions/small portions, ethnic cuisine
- Desserts: Homemade artisan ice cream, bite-size/mini desserts, savory desserts, gelato, fruit desserts, lemon flavored desserts, classic pastries (e.g. scones, profiteroles)
- Alcoholic Beverages: Craft/artisan spirits, locally produced beer/ wine/spirits, Non-traditional liquors (e.g. soju/sochu, cachaca)
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages: Gourmet lemonade, artisan soft drinks, coconut water, mocktails" *
#2 - Technology and Engagement
As if our world is not technology driven enough, which we love, event planners are finding new ways to keep you evn more engaged. "In a recent webinar, Kevin Yanushefski, Product Marketing Manager at Cvent and Curt Apanovich, Creative Director at AV Concepts teamed up to identify and explore 5 Event Tech Trends in 2016. The hot technology they identified included:
- Immersive experiences: holograms, 3D projection mapping, 4K Ultra HD
- Facilitating Attendee Interaction: beacons, wearables including beacons, timely alerts, and event mobile apps
- Social Media Integration: social walls, live sharing and interaction from events
- Real-Time Event Management: digital signage, digital command centers
- Deep Insights: session tracking, personalized event reports, post event ROI measurement
Event tech expert Corbin Ball is forecasting 9 Amazing Meeting Technology Trends for 2016 including:
- Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR)
- The dominance of video and images on social media platforms
- Event intelligence tracking
Based on a survey of 6,000 event industry professionals and data from 1500 start-ups, Event Manager Blog identified 10 Event Trends for 2016 including:
- Crowdstreaming with platforms like Periscope and Meerkat
- Participant matchmaking
- Digital swag bags
- Audio beacons"*
Pantone selected Rose Quartz and Serenity as the colors for 2016 and if you haven't already, you will see these colors everywhere! In the video above there are some common products and apparel that will be on the shelves or on racks near you.
#4 - Venues
Typically hotels are the go-to for corporate events but this year many are choosing more unique locations for meetings with colleagues. An out-of-the-box location includes sport or concert arenas, private villas, or even themed murder mystery dinners and it works! Why you might ask? The answer is because it creates a lasting memory and this is a win-win for both the planner and the attendee. The pop-up event is starting to become more commonplace in the industry as well as, state-of-the-art venues that bring the event to life.
Until Next Time!